Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Slowly but surely getting things done!

So now that I've been able to put my pity party cap away I can tell you all about my successful trip to Islamorada last Sunday. First things first, drum roll please... I finally have a wedding cake! YEEEEESSSSS! We decided to go the Publix route, and as of right now, I couldn't be happier. For one, I was able to have a tasting with all my flavor/filling selections and best part it was free too! Do fancy schmacy over-priced bakeries in Miami offer this service? Psth. I think not.

The women at the Key Largo Publix bakery were super helpful and willing to accommodate all my flavor/design requests. After eating mountains of cake we decided to go with the following

Bottom tier- German Chocolate cake with White Butter cream Icing
Middle tier- Red Velvet cake, cream cheese filling with White Butter cream Icing
Top Tier- Carrot Cake, cream cheese filling with White Butter cream Icing

Yummy... Best of all no sticker shock there. The cake came out to a total of $265 (with fillings and 20% up charge because red velvet & carrot are special order) plus a $50 delivery fee to Islamorada and minus $20 coupon for cake. So all in all the cake came out to roughly $3.30 a slice. I can definitely live with that.

Ladies and gentlemen this is a picture of what my wedding cake should look like.

After visiting Publix we visited BobsBunz another bakery down in Islamorada to decide what our wedding favors would be. We knew we wanted edible favors because we figured people would enjoy those the most plus they're cost effective too. I wanted something with a "keys" flare but didn't want mini key lime pies because I know that key lime pie is an acquired taste.

Instead we decided to go with Key lime white chocolate chip and coconut cookies. No one makes these soft chewy cookies like Bobzbuns does! These cookies are like a party in your mouth. Absolutely delicious. They're so good, you can now purchase them online here.
After Publix we visited our venue and finalized seating arrangements and details. It's all about the details now.

Last but not least, on our way back home we stopped by Shell World and purchased Sugar Starfishes for the Groomsmen/Ring boy's boutonnières. As soon as I got home I whipped out the hot glue gun and got to work...
In about 10 minutes I had five boutonnières for a whopping $3.50 total. Not bad. Not bad at all.

1 comment: